Tuesday 27 April 2010

Blending frenzy!

I've been trying to up the raw content of my diet lately, which means: smoothies! Yum yum. Trouble is, I have a rubbish blender. In fact, it's not even a blender, it's a food processor with a liquidiser attachment. Sadly it has trouble liquidising even so much as already-cooked soup, but we do our best.

Regardless of this handicap, and in anticipation of the new (well, second hand) super (or should that be souper?!) duper blender I have purchased from ebay and now wait for with bated breath, I have been having some fun breakfast/lunch/snack times throwing various ingredients recklessly into the liquidiser in search of delicious combinations, and ignoring the fact that I have to eat the results with a spoon. Yesterday I made two constrasting drinks - first was orange, apple and ginger, which was tasty and refreshing, though it could have done with a little more ginger as mine had got a bit dry. Second was a more porridgey-breakfasty protein-rich number that I found particularly pleasing. It contained, if I can remember it all, oats, wheatgerm, almonds, oat milk, a banana, two little apples and some raisins - and a teaspoon of maca for extra goodies!

This afternoon, in a moment of listlessness, I decided to get Aztec with some chocolate powder - I warmed up a mug of oat milk and put it in the blender with 3 teaspoons of unsweetened cocoa powder (I'm going to sound like I've been sponsored here, but this stuff from Equal Exchange is just so good! Dutch processed and everything), a teaspoon of maca, a teaspoon of flax seed powder (a mistake in a blender that can't crush a boiled potato - it just wound up unpleasantly bitty!) a pinch of both cinnamon and ginger powder and a spoonful of agave nectar. Now that's what hot chocolate should taste like! Next time I might even throw a little bit of chilli powder in there too.

It's going to be at least three weeks until I get my, dare I say it, whizzy, new blender - how will I ever contain myself!? I'm also slightly upset that I haven't been able to get more blending-related puns into this post. Suggestions welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment