Sunday 13 September 2009

Family woes

As mentioned previously, my family aren't over-enthusiastic about ethical dietary requirements.

Today I finally told my mum - we were discussing a shirt she'd bought for either me or my sister because 'it was too nice to leave in the shop!', and it turned out it was silk so I said I couldn't have it as I'd made the decision not to buy any more animal-based clothing, even second hand. She asked 'so have you gone vegan now as well?' and I said yes. She sighed in a way that implied I'd failed her as a daughter. In response I did the mock exaggerated teen-angst sighing that she used to use on us as children when we protested about having to tidy our rooms or hoover the living room.

They'll come round, right?

2 comments:

  1. Did they come around?

    Reading your pudding entries makes my sweet tooth angsty. One of the main drawbacks of not having constant access to a kitchen...

    Vegan love from Germany,
    Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my mum is ok with it - she read this entry and denied having made that noise! My dad just thinks it's some strange foible and my sister bought me three vegan cookbooks as a peace offering (and a copy of the Veganomicon for herself!) but still doesn't really like the idea. So I'm making progress! Or they are.

    ReplyDelete